ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES

According to information generated by the Institute of Hydrology, Meteorology and Environmental Studies of Colombia (IDEAM) in the framework of the First Biennial Update Report and the Third National Communication on Climate Change, in 2010 the country produced estimated emissions of Greenhouse gases (GHG) of 224,000 tonnes of CO2 eq. of which 6.12% are issued by the Waste sector which corresponds to approximately 13,710 tonnes of CO2 eq.

We are immersed in a system that operates according to a linear economy of the product life cycle, which are designed to have less useful life and to be discarded, approximately only 17% of these residues are recycled, the other 83 % Is disposed of in the landfills of each region.

In view of the above, the Republic of Colombia unilaterally committed itself to the Conference of Parties COP21 - Paris, December 2015, to reduce its greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 20% with respect to projected emissions by 2030 and would increase its ambition to achieve the 30% GHG reduction projected for 2030 subject to the provision of international support.

PLASTIC RESOURCES

Plastic waste is part of urban solid waste (MSW). They come from residences, commercial premises, institutions and public areas.

Of all solid waste, currently in the city of Medellín, according to the Comprehensive Solid Waste Management Plan (PGIRS) - projected from 2016 to 2027; Among potentially recyclable waste, plastics represent 8.61%, being located in the residue potentially more recyclable with respect to the others, followed by paper with 3.74%, glass with 3.65%, carton with 1, 79% and finally metals with 1.365%. This shows a high potential to use post consumer plastic and reduce the use of virgin plastic material, which represents a reduction of 2.1 kg of CO2 eq. for each kilogram of plastic processed from post-consumer material, high-volume material represents an important strategy to mitigate climate change and direct efforts to reduce projected GHGs by 2030.

ORGANIC RESIDUES

In Colombia the waste from the food production industry, marketers such as marketplaces, restaurants and residences generate 59.79% of the organic waste that can be used due to the physicochemical characteristics that these retain.

In the Valley of Aburrá, approximately 516,600 Ton of organic waste is generated per year, of which in 2015 the Solid Waste Integral Management Plan of Medellín reports a recovery of 312.5 Ton, which represents less than 1% of the total generated and their current use is mainly the compost (fertilizer), wasting the potential of the nutritional factor that they retain when discarded.

Due to the above, EFFITECO S.A.S is carrying out a pilot project with the objective of carrying out a physicochemical transformation in the organic waste that can be used and convert it into raw material for the production of concentrated feed for cattle. It is projected to achieve by the year 2020 the use of 15% of the organic waste generated.

ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION

The environmental education issued by EFFITECO S.A.S will promote the social organization and the participation of the different actors of the community, promoting decentralization and autonomy with intersectoral and institutional coordination in the management of resources, generating information and communication for environmental mobilization. Likewise, it should be part of the investigation of the collective construction of knowledge and the systematization of experiences and socialization of successful cases for the formation of human talent in citizens, reflection and socio-environmental self-control.